Call For Projects
The Cairo International Film Festival is opening a call for projects for the second round of the Cairo Film Connection, the co-production forum running parallel to the festival. In 2010, before the festival was interrupted because of the revolution, the inaugural Cairo Film Connection was held in parallel with the 34th edition of Cairo International Film Festival. The connection helped several Arab filmmakers move forward with their projects, two of which went on to completion, and a third that is currently in pre-production.
This year, the Cairo Film Connection is becoming more international, and at the same time more focused on home. Starting with this call for submissions, the CFC is opening it’s doors to international filmmakers from all over the world, who have a project with “an Egyptian connection” (director, producer, co-producer, main talent, location, subject matter, etc…) are encouraged to apply with feature-length projects either at the development or post-production phase. Feature-length creative documentaries are also encouraged to apply.
An international jury will select approximately 8-10 projects in development and 2-4 works-in-progress. The deadline for applications is August 31, 2012. Following the deadline an international team of experts will evaluate the submissions and select a maximum of 12 projects. The CFC will then invite the project representatives to come to Cairo for 3 days during which they will have a schedule of one-to-one meetings with Egyptian producers, distributors, as well as with international producers, sales agents and distributors.
* Please click here to download the application guidelines and the application form. Please read the guidelines carefully and make sure you have all the needed documents. All applications must be in English.
The goal of a co-production platform is the opportunity offered to meet and network with other entities that could be potential project partners. In addition, several prizes are offered to help the project in its development and completion.
The CFC prizes will be announced by early September, but there will be at least two official cash prizes for development and one or more post-production prizes for works in progress (cash/post production services)
CFC Bylaws and Conditions
Following the deadline an international team of experts evaluate the submissions and select approximately 14 feature film projects. In the first round all applications are looked at by two different members of the selection team and a shortlist is compiled. In the final selection all members of the selection team read the shortlist. The final selection is completed by the end of October 2012 and selected filmmakers will be contacted by a CFC representative. The 15 projects are selected based on the following criteria:
- The originality, innovation, and quality of the idea,
- The talent and ability of the whole team to deliver the proposed project,
- The feasibility of the financial budget and plan,
- The project’s potential to both international and Egyptian partners.
An international jury will read all the submitted projects and select the 15 projects that will be invited to attend CFC. The selected filmmakers are contacted directly to confirm their participation and asked to provide updated material for inclusion in the Cairo Film Connection catalogue.
Being selected for the CFC entitles the project team of two people (producer-director) to:
- Full festival accreditation
- Travel and accommodation for the 3 days of the CFC
- Schedule of meetings and networking opportunities
- Project promotion through our widely distributed catalogue
- Eligibility to win grants and financing
In turn all the selected project teams are required to:
- Include the following line and CIFF Logo in the credit role, when their film is realized: “Presented at the Cairo Film Connection, CIFF 2012”
- A logo and strap line will be provided for inclusion in the credit sequence of the finished film.
The prize money will be paid to the director but it should be noted that the money is intended as a contribution towards the further development of the project and not for individual use.